This page may contain affiliate links and we may earn a small amount of money from any products bought. Our reviews, however, remain independent and impartial.
We’re a picky lot here at Supplement Reviews UK which is why we searched and compared dozens of nootropic supplements on the market today to find the best nootropics UK.
We seek products that improve focus, boost mental performance, and are free of side effects. We believe all our chosen nootropics or brain-boosting supplements do just that… and a lot more!
We’re huge fans of all four of these products, but if we really had to choose a favourite, we’d go with Mind Lab Pro, the universal nootropic. Of course, it helps that Mind Lab Pro has just received independent scientific validation from scientists at the University of Leeds. More on that shortly.
For now, let’s look at all four of these impressive products…
Table of Contents
Our Choice for Best Nootropics UK…
- Mind Lab Pro: Best Universal and Most Effective Nootropic
- Performance Lab Mind: Best for Brain Energy and Motivation
- Hunter Focus by Hunter Evolve: Best for Focus, Memory, and Mood
- Performance Lab Sleep: Best Night Support for the Brain
1. Mind Lab Pro
Mind Lab Pro is a universal nootropic that works across six different bio-pathways to help improve all aspects of cognition — from memory to focus, from brain health to tackling stress. What we really like about this nootropic is that its brain-boosting power is proven: its ingredients are backed by clinical trials, and a recent Leeds University study found ‘impressive’ results among people taking Mind Lab Pro.
- Universal nootropic, meaning it can deliver whatever you need on any given day
- Includes some of the best nootropics on the market.
- Proven nootropic ingredients backed by clinical trials; included in effective dosages.
- Independent scientific backing.
- Helps to reduce stress, boost alertness, strengthen memory, banish brain fog, and more.
- Protects long-term brain health.
- Manufactured to extremely high standards.
- All-natural ingredients are tolerated very well.
- Backed by professionals, including grand Chessmaster Nigel Short.
2. Performance Lab Mind
One of the jewels of the ever-popular Performance Lab line of supplements, Performance Lab Mind is a dedicated nootropic that promises to boost cognition while also protecting longer-term brain health. It’s an important pledge that demonstrates its genuine commitment to the customer.
- Includes some proven heavy-hitters in the nootropics world.
- Provides a clean energy boost for the brain.
- Helps to prevent burnout, supports focus, motivation, and more.
- Makes an excellent base nootropic stack from which to build upon, if you so choose.
- Can be used safely in synergy with any other product of the Performance Lab line.
- No proprietary ingredients or ‘secrets’.
- Very clean supplement, vegan-friendly.
3. Hunter Focus by Hunter Evolve
Focus is one of three male-oriented supplements from the quality Hunter Evolve range (the others are a T-booster and a fat burner). The key to Hunter Focus is its anti-anxiety element, designed to help men at the top of their game/ in the boardroom handle their stress. It deserves its place on our list of the best nootropics UK.
- There is lots of evidence for the nootropics used in Hunter Focus.
- Contains Ashwaghanda, clinically shown to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Uses premium versions of its nootropics.
- Designed to improve mood as well as tackle stress and anxiety.
- Comes from an established and respected company (Roar Ambition).
- Can be used together with Hunter Burn and Hunter Test for a full mind and body boost for men.
4. Performance Lab Sleep
Science tells us that sleep enhances and strengthens most types of brain function, helping to boost concentration and focus, as well as memory, creativity, judgment, and more. Sleep deprivation, insomnia, or inadequate rest on a regular basis impairs cognitive ability in the short term. Numerous studies have also suggested that it may foster dementia in the longer term. So getting a good night’s rest is crucial. That’s where Performance Lab Sleep — an all-natural sleep supplement — can come in handy.
- Performance Lab Sleep contains an all-natural form of melatonin (and not synthetic, as per some other sleeping pills).
- The dose of melatonin is carefully calculated to help tackle sleep issues without leaving you groggy in the morning
- Also contains magnesium to calm the mind and nervous system and relax muscles, preventing cramps and muscle spasms during sleep.
- Meanwhile, L-Tryptophan encourages calm sedation and a better mood in the morning.
- A great alternative to OTC sleeping pills which often leave users groggy or struggling to wake in the morning.
- Can be used alongside Performance Lab Mind for a full day and night nootropic boost.
Our Guide to the Best Nootropics UK
What Are Nootropics?
Nootropics, Smart Drugs, Cognitive Enhancers; these are all terms used interchangeably to describe the same sort of substances. If a substance has been scientifically studied and shown to exhibit brain-enhancing or mind-improving effects, without causing addiction or tolerance, then it can be labelled as a nootropic. They’re not drugs, and they’re considered safe for daily use. This can include vitamins, minerals, herbs, amino acids, nutraceuticals, and more.
Note that nootropics often work in different ways, and one nootropic won’t do everything — there are nootropics that help with focus, for instance, and different ones that help to tackle anxiety. Likewise, there are others that will contribute to brain health longevity. That’s why nootropic stacks — a mixture of several different nootropics that work together in synergy — are a great choice to really get the most out of your chosen supplement.
All the products on this page contain 100% natural nootropics, extracted from plants, herbs, and other natural sources, and are nootropic stacks. There are hundreds, maybe even thousands of nootropics on the market but only a select few have made it onto our list of the best nootropics UK in 2022.
Who Takes Nootropics?
Nootropics are popular with people from all walks of life; office workers, builders, architects, CEOs, students and the elderly could all experience their cognitive benefit. None of the products in this list contain any banned ingredients, so athletes can take them without fear of disqualification. In recent years, they’ve become increasingly common – your colleagues may already be taking a nootropic supplement, giving them a brain-boosted edge over their competitors (or over you!).
There are too many nootropic ingredients (dozens!) to go into detail here, but you can read about some of the more beneficial ones in our list of the Best Nootropic Ingredients. You can also learn about the best brain-boosting ingredients in our reviews below.
A lot of nootropic supplements contain additional, useful ingredients. These include enzymes and coenzymes like Q10, which help improve mitochondrial energy production in the brain and aid vitamin conversion. B Vitamins are often included, as they help synthesize neurotransmitters which are used up by nootropic substances. Some amino acids (L-Tyrosine for example) have nootropic properties so they’re commonly included in products as well.
How We Chose Our Ranking of the Best Nootropics UK in 2022
For our ranking of the best nootropics UK, we have chosen supplements that are made up of several nootropic ingredients, what we refer to as a stack. These ready-made nootropic stacks are ideal for anyone who doesn’t want to have to go to the trouble of buying ingredients separately (often at more expense), researching ideal dosages, and weighing out and mixing numerous powders or ingredients. Nootropics stacks, as we mentioned earlier, are also more effective in our opinion.
We have looked at manufacturer reputation, quality of ingredients, dosages, scientific evidence, and more to choose our favourite nootropics on the market today. All have one thing in common – quality, effectiveness, and a commitment to excellence.
Our Best Nootropics UK in Detail…
You can find even more information on our recommendations for the best nootropics UK here…
First Place: Mind Lab Pro
In a nutshell, Mind Lab Pro is our favourite nootropic of 2022 because it combines tried and tested ingredients in quality formats in a very clever formula. It takes advantage of potent nootropics which work well in small doses to make sure every ingredient included reaches clinically effective dosages.
It is also the first nootropic to be scientifically proven following tests by independent experts in their field.
Research carried out by Dr Andrea Utley and her team (Reader in Motor Control & Development at the University of Leeds) showed impressive results. Dr Utley said: “‘The results of the initial three-month study are impressive, to say the least. I was surprised by the degree of statistical significance. We have submitted our findings to peer-reviewed scientific journals for publication. We are soon to begin work on the next phase.” ( Dr Andrea Utley. BA (Hons), PGCE, PhD.)
We’ll bring you more on that when the full results are released.
The Mind Lab Pro Promise
‘Imagine your brain firing on all cylinders’.
One of the key attractions of Mind Lab Pro is the fact that is a universal nootropic, one that can ‘boost all aspects of cognition in all people’. Students, over-55s, athletes, professionals… you name the group and, say the manufacturers, Mind Lab Pro can work for them. Perhaps now you’re seeing why we’ve chosen it to spearhead our ranking of the best nootropics UK.
It works across six bio-pathways to aid:
- Brain chemistry: boosting mood, attention, motivation, memory, processing and more.
- Brain energy: helping with mental agility, focus, quick thinking, and banishing brain fog
- Brain regeneration: maintaining, repairing and nourishing brain cells
- Brain circulation: boosting oxygen to the brain, feeding it nutrients, clearing toxins.
- Brain protection: fights structural changes and toxins that could damage the brain over time.
- Alpha brain waves: boosting creativity, productivity, and learning, via a ‘calm alertness’.
As the manufacturers say, something for everyone!
- Manufacturer: Opti-Nutra
- First launched: 2015
- Currently on its 4th formulation
- Number of Active Ingredients: 11
- Dosage: 2 capsules a day, increasing to 4 if needed
- Number of capsules per bottle: 60
Mind Lab Pro contains 11 tried and tested nootropic ingredients.
For memory: Bacopa Monnieri, shown to enhance immediate and delayed memory recall.
To reduce stress, encourage alertness: N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine helps to aid attention particularly when overworked, over stressed or overtired. L-Theanine is known to generate a state of wakeful relaxation, reducing stress but keeping you alert, while Rhodiola Rosea strengthens mental resistance to stress.
To energise the brain: Cognizin® in the form of Citicoline energises the brain and promotes memory, attention, focus, concentration and more. May also help maintain healthy brain function over the longer term.
To maintain brain health: B vitamins B6, B9 and B12 help to protect the brain against cognitive decline, degeneration and other cerebrovascular concerns. Lion’s Mane Mushroom also helps to regenerate neurons, while Phosphatidylserine helps to dispose of toxic brain cells to avoid collateral damage. Maritime Pine Bark Extract supplies antioxidants which can help to neutralise toxic free radicals in the brain; it also improves blood flow to the brain.
If the above isn’t yet enough to convince you, we’re big fans of Mind Lab Pro because…
The Pros of Mind Lab Pro
- It is not afraid to tweak and improve its formula, not content to rest on its laurels.
- Supplies the brain with everything it needs over the shorter and longer term as well.
- Can be taken daily, no need for cycling.
- Can help with whatever ails your brain on a given day; the beauty of a universal nootropic
- Includes 11 genuine nootropics, no wasted space here.
- Uses premium versions of its ingredients.
The Cons of Mind Lab Pro
- The only downside to Mind Lab Pro that we can see is that you can’t buy it in brick and mortar stores, or indeed anywhere else aside from the official website. That said, it’s not truly much of a disadvantage as buying from the official site guarantees quality, shipping discounts, and bulk deals.
Why Is Mind Lab Pro Better than Competitors?
We love the fact that Mind Lab Pro is a universal nootropic — meaning it can help to improve your performance in whatever way you need it to on any given day. So if you’re struggling with brain fog, need to focus more, or want to be more creative, it can help. Ditto, Mind Lab Pro can help to tackle many other cognitive issues you may have today. That’s a huge bonus and gives it a head start against its competitors.
Use Mind Lab Pro If…
You want a universal nootropic that can help to boost performance in the shorter term, protect your brain in the longer term and keep your cognitive processes sharp.
Second Place: Performance Lab Mind
Performance Lab has some great formulas for nootropics, multi-vitamins, testosterone boosters and more. We’re happy to name Performance Lab Mind, its headlining nootropic, as the second-best nootropic to buy in the UK.
Part of the reason we’re so impressed with Performance Lab Mind is that it doesn’t try to set the world of nootropics alight by creating some buzz-worthy formula that has no chance of working. Trust me, it’s a temptation many established brands have fallen victim to.
Instead, Performance Lab Mind, just like Mind Lab Pro, uses tried, tested and proven nootropic ingredients, such as Cognizin, Phosphatidylserine and N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine and Maritime Pine Bark Extract.
Performance Lab promises the latest ingredients and enhancements in its products, and pledges Performance Lab Mind will ‘upgrade cognition, recover faster from mental stress and exertion and support long-range brain health.’
How it Works
Performance Lab Mind aims to achieve the above by providing an advanced supplement that helps to:
- Upgrade performance-related functions, such as mental processing speed, focus, and motivation.
- Boost brain energy thanks to improved cerebral circulation, delivering brain fuel via an improved blood flow to the brain.
- Support mental recovery, reducing the effects of stress, overwork and burnout.
- Support brain regeneration and plasticity, helping to form new brain cells and synapses to improve the brain’s long-term health. This in turn supports memory and learning.
- Manufacturer: Performance Lab
- Number of Active Ingredients: 4
- Dosage: 1-2 capsules a day
- Capsule size: 00 (just over 2cm)
- Number of capsules in a bottle: 30.
The four main ingredients in Performance Lab Mind are also seen in Mind Lab Pro, and we tip our hat off to the choice.
Citicoline (Cognizin®), 250 mg
The brain alone consumes a fifth of the body’s energy and needs constant renewal to function effectively. Citicoline – an organic form of choline – helps to supply the brain with energy and the building blocks it needs to maintain healthy function and regeneration in the future.
The patented Cognizin® form of citicoline has proven itself in research studies to boost mental energy, attention, focus, memory and more, while being well tolerated in human clinical trials.
Phosphatidylserine, (Sharp PS® Green), 100 mg
Phosphatidylserine (PS) is a phospholipid compound, found in nearly all cells in the body. These fat-like substances form the basis of two thirds of the brain’s structure, which should give some indication of how important they are. Up to 15% of the body’s total PS is concentrated in the brain.
Additional PS is particularly valuable because our brain’s total phospholipid pool begins to decline from our 30s and beyond, triggering potential age-related cognitive issues.
Phosphatidylserine aids neural repair and upkeep of brain cells, the creation of new brain cells and is a building block for the neural connections or plasticity, the foundation of all learning.
It also influences critical ‘brain power’ chemicals, such as dopamine, acetylcholine, norepinephrine and serotonin, and enhances glucose metabolism.
Phosphatidylserine has proven effective for memory issues, stress, bipolar, ADHD, and Alzheimer’s disease, and has been shown to boost concentration, focus and recall.
Sharp PS® Green is a premium version of Phosphatidylserine, made from sunflowers rather than soy.
Ajipure L-Tyrosine, 250 mg.
L-Tyrosine is an amino acid which helps to synthesise the neurotransmitters dopamine, as well as norepinephrine and epinephrine. As such, it aids memory, boosts mood and is particularly effective at performance when you’re over-stressed, overworked or sleep-deprived.
‘Brain fog’ has been associated with depleted brain chemicals and low L-Tyrosine stores, as has a short attention span and poor focus.
Performance Lab Mind includes a generous 250mg of L-Tyrosine, compared to Mind Lab Pro’s 175mg.
Maritime Pine Bark Extract, 75 mg
Nootropic manufacturers committed to adding the latest effective nootropic ingredients are adding Maritime Pine Bark Extract to their formulas (see Mind Lab Pro above).
Performance Lab Mind adds 75mg of the pine bark extract to their nootropic too. Research shows that the extract is packed with antioxidants which tackle free radicals in the brain. Maritime Pine Bark Extract also encourages the release of nitric oxide which helps to boost blood flow to the brain, providing more of the glucose, oxygen and micronutrients needed for brain energy. This in turn contributes to enhanced learning, attention, focus and mental energy.
Performance Lab Mind’s Maritime Pine Bark Extract is also believed to support brain plasticity and help brain cell regeneration, contributing to long-term brain health.
When looking for a product containing Maritime Pine Bark Extract, ensure it is standardised to at least 95% proanthocyanidin antioxidants, as in Performance Lab Mind (and Mind Lab Pro).
The Pros of Performance Lab Mind
- The ingredients in Performance Lab Mind are proven nootropics.
- They are a mix of established heavy hitters and newer promising ingredients.
- We are impressed at the manufacturer’s commitment to premium versions of those ingredients wherever possible.
- Having fewer ingredients than Mind Lab Pro allows Performance Lab Mind to increase its dosage of L-Tyrosine (250mg compared to Mind Lab Pro’s 175mg). It’s also ideal as a base nootropic to build upon.
- The great thing about the Performance Lab range is that all its products are designed to safely work well together, meaning you can use Mind as a base from which to build a supplement regime that really does what you want it to.
- Performance Lab Mind is vegan-friendly, caffeine-free, non-GMO, gluten, soy, and allergen-free.
The Cons of Performance Lab Mind
- If you’re wanting a nootropic that combines a dozen buzz-worthy ingredients, Performance Lab Mind isn’t it. It narrows its focus to just four ingredients, but all four work tremendously well.
- Again, Performance Lab Mind is only available from the official retailer. Once again, however, it does allow for discounts and bulk deals.
Choose Performance Lab Mind if…
You want a stimulant-free mental energy boost with no crash that stimulates mental clarity and performance while also nourishing the brain for long-term health.
STACKS WELL WITH…
Performance Lab Stim
Performance Lab Mind is a superb nootropic on its own, but for those days when you need a little extra stimulation, there’s Performance Lab Stim.
We all know caffeine — while technically not a nootropic — can give you a significant mental and physical boost. The problem with many other caffeine pills on the market is that the doses are very high, unhealthily so, AND they don’t care that you’ll crash heavily afterwards.
Stim in contrast offers 50mg of natural caffeine, a gentle dose that allows YOU to decide how much caffeine you want to take — you can take one, two or even three pills and still be assured that you’re not taking a dangerous dose.
Performance Lab Stim is crash-free and one of the cleanest caffeine pills around. It includes L-theanine, the perfect complement to caffeine. L-theanine helps to boost the benefits of caffeine — enhanced focus, energy and awareness — whilst also dialing down the potentially negative effects, such as anxiety or the jitters.
The L-theanine works to reduce anxiety by replenishing the neurotransmitters adrenaline, dopamine and norepinephrine which are typically used up when consuming caffeine. Stim also includes vitamins B6, 9 and 12 which also support these vital neurotransmitters. Vitamin B2, also in the formula, helps the cells produce energy, further helping to prevent a post-caffeine crash. Stim really is a super clever formula.
The great thing about the Performance Lab range is that products are made to be used together so you can rest assured that you can use Mind and Stim together safely. So if you want the power of Performance Lab Mind with an extra boost on the days you need it, pick up Performance Lab Stim as well.
ALSO STACKS WELL WITH:
Performance Lab MCT
MCTs (Medium-Chain Triglycerides) are some of the hottest supplements around right now and provide a clean energy source that can help brain health.
Typically recommended as part of a keto diet that focuses on weight loss and health, these healthy fats are easily converted into ketones to provide energy, meaning the body is burning these instead of carbohydrates. These ketones easily cross the blood-brain barrier and act as fuel for the brain.
MCTs aren’t classed as nootropics themselves but ketones are. They protect brain cells from free radicals and boost mitochondria, improving their efficiency.
Performance Lab MCT is a very clean product, containing the MCTs C8 and C10 only — the two MCTs believed to be most beneficial. There are no other ingredients and no fillers.
Third Place: Hunter Focus
Combining nine different nootropics, Hunter Focus is one of best natural nootropic stacks on the market, hence it earns its place on our Best Nootropics UK of 2022 list. Despite being aimed at men over 30, there’s nothing stopping women and younger men enjoying this product as well.
- Manufacturer: Roar Ambition
- Number of Active Ingredients: 9
- Dosage: 4 capsules a day
- Number of Capsules per bottle: 120
This nootropic has three main goals in mind: improving memory, aiding concentration and amplifying mood. It achieves this through a wide range of active nootropic ingredients. These are Lion’s Mane mushroom, Maritime Pine Bark, Bacopa Monnieri, Citicoline, N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine, L-Theanine, Phosphatidylserine, Ashwagandha and Passionflower extract.
Hunter Focus is stimulant free, so it’s a perfect choice of nootropic if you’re sensitive to stimulants like caffeine.
All the ingredients in Hunter Focus are useful, but Ashwaghanda is especially remarkable. Ashwaghanda is has been shown to reduce anxiety and stress in multiple studies, it’s certainly one of the best natural nootropics.  It’s also been shown to improve physical performance in studies. 
This anti-anxiety element is key in Hunter Focus. Rather than load you up with stimulants, it opts for a calm balanced approach to quieten overactive and anxious minds, allowing you to focus.
The Pros of Hunter Focus
- Superb anti-anxiety benefits.
- Clinical evidence that the ingredients in Hunter Focus work.
- Hunter Focus helps to improve mood, as well as aid concentration and memory.
- Ideal for busy men with stressful and high-powered jobs.
- While Hunter Focus is aimed at men, there’s nothing in the ingredients that means it can’t be used by women too.
The Cons of Hunter Focus
- Hunter Focus is a premium product and its price tag does reflect that. We would argue that it’s worth it, however.
Fourth Place: Performance Lab Sleep
Performance Lab Sleep comes in at fourth place on our Best Nootropics UK to Buy in 2022 list, precisely because it is perfect to stack with either Mind Lab Pro or Performance Lab Mind for complete day and night brain support.
As the name suggests, Performance Lab Sleep helps to calm the nervous system, relax muscles and extend deep sleep. How does this benefit the brain? Anyone suffering from lack of sleep will know how detrimental poor sleep is to cognitive function; by extending deep sleep, Performance Lab Sleep helps extend the period of brain regeneration and boost optimal daytime performance.
Performance Lab Sleep promises to help you ‘fall asleep faster, extend regenerative sleep
phases, and wake up rejuvenated and primed to perform.’
How Performance Lab Sleep Works:
- Performance Lab Sleep soothes the nervous system and brain to accelerate the onset of sleep and extend deep sleep
- Encourages a tranquil sleep by stimulating the release of serotonin and melatonin, the sleep chemicals
- Supports circadian rhythms, helping to optimise sleep patterns, and support overall health
- Soothes the musculoskeletal system to ease joint and muscle discomfort, reducing aches, spasms and involuntary limb movements that can disrupt sleep
- Promotes nightly cell renewal, helping you to feel rejuvenated in the morning.
- Manufacturer: Performance Lab
- Number of Active Ingredients: 3
- Dosage: 2- 4 capsules a day
- Size of Capsule: 00 (just over 2cm)
- Number of Capsules per bottle: 60
Montmorency Tart Cherry, 50:1 concentrated ratio (CherryPURE®), 500 mg
Montmorency tart cherry is a rich natural source of melatonin, the ‘sleep hormone’ which helps to regulate your circadian rhythms. Darkness typically stimulates melatonin production, encouraging sleep. Light stops melatonin release, allowing the brain to wake up.
Supplementation with a strong source of melatonin can strengthen the sleep-wake cycle, helping to establish consistent sleep patterns, induce faster sleep and aid sleep if melatonin release has been interrupted in some way.
Performance Lab Sleep opts for a natural source of melatonin in Montmorency tart cherry, as opposed to the synthetic options used by many sleep supplements. The manufacturers say this aids optimal sleep without morning grogginess or brain fog. 500mg of CherryPURE®, the variety of tart cherry used in Performance Lab® Sleep is equal to a 25g serving of Montmorency tart cherries.
Montmorency tart cherry also supplies inflammation-moderating antioxidants, helping to ease muscles and joints for better sleep.
A 2012 study by Northumbria University into the effects of tart cherry juice on melatonin  concluded that ‘consumption of a tart cherry juice concentrate provides an increase in exogenous melatonin that is beneficial in improving sleep duration and quality in healthy men and women and might be of benefit in managing disturbed sleep.’
Working together with tart cherry, the amino acid L-Tryptophan raises serotonin levels, beneficial for mood, relaxation, and sleep. The boost in serotonin also stimulates the pineal gland to produce more melatonin.
Research into supplemental L- tryptophan  has been shown to increase melatonin levels in animal species to varying degrees.
L-Tryptophan, included in Performance Lab Sleep as TryptoPure® (250 mg), encourages a bright mood in the daytime with calm sedation at night time, helping the body maintain a healthy circadian rhythm.
(From Magnesium Bisglycinate, Magnesium Taurate, NutriGenesis Magnesium)
Chronic insomnia has been linked to magnesium deficiency, with frequent night-time wakening. Performance Lab Sleep supplies three different forms of magnesium to ensure sufficient bioavailability (plain magnesium is only 30-40% bioavailable).
Magnesium aids sleep by:
- Soothing muscles to encourage the onset of sleep
- Calming the nervous system
- Supporting a gradual drop of blood pressure which precedes sleep
- Helping to prevent muscle twitches and periodic limb movements that can disrupt sleep.
Note that magnesium has been shown to be beneficial for sleep alongside calcium. 
Magnesium also acts as a co-factor in converting L-Tryptophan to serotonin.
Choose Performance Lab Sleep if…
You struggle to gain restful sleep and want a natural melatonin boost that doesn’t leave you hungover in the morning. Makes a good partner to either Performance Lab Mind or Mind Lab Pro, helping you to boost your brain power day and night.