UPDATED: NEW NAME AND FORMULA FOR 2021
Previously known as HourGlass. The new formula includes additional ingredients, reduction of stimulants and more appetite reduction. Details below.
Let’s cut to the chase — Hourglass (now named Hourglass Fit) was already our favourite female-led fat burner. It stood head and shoulders above its competitors in a market that tried to either pass off traditional male fat burners as suitable for women or offered watered-down versions of the same in girly pink packaging.
Women face different hormonal influences and difficulties to men when it comes to losing weight — and HourGlass Fit is aware of this. We’re pleased to see that HourGlass Fit’s new 2021 formula continues to tackle this, with additional help for appetite reduction, mood support and more. Read on to find out why we rate HourGlass Fit so highly.
About HourGlass Fit
Hourglass Fit, by UK company Propura, is designed from the ground up specifically for women, who face different weight loss challenges to men.
The manufacturers know, for instance, that women are 50% more likely to crave chocolate at the start of their menstrual cycle. It sounds flippant, but this is a genuine reason for so many failed diets. At this time of the month, for instance, oestrogen and progesterone levels fall, causing women to feel hungrier. At the same time, levels of the feel-good chemical serotonin drop, while levels of cortisol — the ‘stress hormone’ — rise. All of which leaves you craving sugary food, making it doubly hard to resist a chocolate pick-me-up.
Cravings are a major cause of women’s failed diets — a problem most men don’t experience to the same degree — which is why HourGlass Fit’s main ingredient is a quality appetite suppressant, the dietary fibre glucomannan. Glucomannan is the only ingredient allowed to be sold in the UK as a ‘proven appetite suppressant’, and the new revamped HourGass Fit DOUBLES its earlier dosage to 3,000mg per serving.
Added to that are vitamins, minerals, mood boosters, and proven fat burning ingredients, demonstrating HourGlass Fit’s commitment to a healthy, sustained weight loss.
The HourGlass Fit Promise
The Hourglass Fit literature pledges lasting fat loss results using research-backed safe ingredients in premium form. Those ingredients, which we’ll review in a moment, promise to tackle weight loss via several different bio-activities, including:
- Encouraging thermogenesis and calorie burn
- Offering a safe appetite suppressant
- Speeding up your metabolism
- Keeping your blood sugar in balance
- Helping to maintain energy levels
HourGlass Fit’s Formula: 2021 versus 2020
We’ll talk more about the ingredients in HourGlassFit in a moment, but if you’re here to find out the differences between the 2020 HourGlass formula and 2021 Hourglass Fit formula, here it is in a nutshell:
- DOUBLE the amount of glucomannan, dietary fibre and appetite suppressor
- REMOVAL of its stimulant ingredients — Guarana and green tea, making it safer for everyone to take.
- The addition of 5-HTP, a precursor to serotonin, designed to improve mood. Very important when dieting.
- The addition of zinc and vitamin B2.
- Smaller doses of B6 and B12 — though they’re still provided at 100% Daily Value, so this isn’t so much of a loss.
- Removal of Vitamin D3: ok, this one is a bit of a shame as the previous 2020 formula also helped women to meet their daily Vitamin D needs, especially important in the autumn and winter months. However, let’s be fair, this was an added extra and not the purpose of this product.
- Serving size has increased from 3 to 4 capsules to fit in the extra ingredients.
HourGlass Fit Ingredients
When we read about some fat burners on the market, it’s tempting to suggest that the main fat they need to trim is from their own ingredient list. Hourglass Fit doesn’t have any such issues.
Its nine ingredients are proven, and there are no pointless fillers.
The fact that HourGlass Fit has doubled the amount of glucomannan in its 2021 formula should tell you something: it’s one of the huge successes of the fat burning world. As we mentioned already, glucomannan is the only natural dietary fibre that’s officially considered a proven appetite suppressant by the regulators in the UK.
How does it work? Found in the root of the konjac plant, glucomannan absorbs water to swell in the stomach, promoting satiety for long periods of time. Meaning you feel fuller for longer, which in turn means you’re less likely to binge or snack. It also aids digestion and promotes heart health, so it’s a great natural ingredient to include in a fat burner.
One American study on the impact of glucomannan on weight loss concluded: “At doses of 2-4 g per day, GM (glucomannan) was well-tolerated and resulted in significant weight loss in overweight and obese individuals.”
HourGlass Fit’s new 3000mg (3g) is slap bang in the centre of that dosage.
Capsimax® (Cayenne Pepper Extract), 100mg:
Alongside a highly effective appetite suppressant is cayenne pepper extract — a proven all-natural fat burner.
If you’ve ever eaten chilli, you’ll know that it raises your temperature. What you may not know is that this is a process called thermogenesis, whereby the body’s metabolism speeds up, your temperature increases, and the entire process burns more fat as a result.
As such, this is one of the natural fat burners you want in a quality fat burner. The extra good news here is that the premium form of Cayenne Pepper, the Capsimax® included in HourGlass Fit, allows the product to include the fat burning element without any of the heat and the stomach pains. As such, it can be more concentrated and even more powerful.
Cayenne pepper may also help to keep hunger pains at bay, alongside glucomannan.
Let’s face it: being on a diet often isn’t much fun. Neither is being hungry. Both of these things can be triggers for breaking a diet and fitness plan, which is where this clever little amino acid comes in.
5-HTP is a precursor to ‘feel good’ chemical serotonin. As such, it has been shown to help counteract the hormones that induce hunger and also works to protect mental wellbeing. It may help to reduce symptoms of depression and low mood by increasing serotonin levels.
One small study followed 20 women — 10 of whom were given 5-HTP and the others given a placebo. At the end of the study, the women taking 5-HTP reported greater feelings of satiety when eating, meaning they ate less. The women taking 5-HTP also had a reduced body mass index.
Never underestimate the mental side of losing weight — it’s often just as important as the physical, and 5-HTP helps to preserve healthy levels of serotonin so you don’t give in to cravings or feel low.
Vitamin B6, 1.7 mg:
Included here in premium form P-5-P, vitamin B6 helps to turn the body’s stored glycogen into glucose, essentially helping the body to break down fat and use it as an energy source instead.
It also has antioxidant properties and can help to maintain blood sugar levels, aid hormone balance and support the metabolism.
Vitamin B6 is also a nootropic, helping to regulate mood and motivation, beneficial when dieting.
Vitamin B12, 2.4mcg:
Vitamin B12 isn’t a bone fide fat burner per se, but it’s useful in this formula. It helps to preserve energy, acting as an essential nutrient in maintaining cell energy metabolism, and supports blood cell health and blood oxygenation. All of which are valuable for weight loss success.
Vitamin B2, 1.1mg.
Included in a generous dose of 100% Daily Value, HourGlass Fit’s 2021 formula adds vitamin B2 for the first time. It’s a clever addition. Alongside the other B-vitamins in this formula, B2 helps to convert the foods you eat into energy, helping to keep the body functioning. Loss of energy is a typical side effect of a restricted diet, so any extra helps. As an added bonus, vitamin B2 is also important for healthy hair and skin.
An important nutrient for dieting women, chromium supports healthy metabolic performance, aids lean muscle development and crucially, allows thermogenesis to go ahead.
The Picolinate form of chromium included in Hourglass helps to promote fat breakdown, boost energy and helps to prevent cravings by normalising blood sugar levels.
Another addition to the HourGlass Fit 2021 formula is zinc, a mineral that plays several different roles when it comes to fat storage and fat burning. For instance, zinc helps to promote the healthy release of insulin — any interruption to this can lead to appetite changes, additional abdominal fat and extra fat storage. It is also linked to thyroid hormones which influence metabolism and the rate at which you burn calories when resting.
Many people are deficient in zinc without realising, and the hope is that by adding it to your fat burner, you gain better appetite control and strengthen your metabolic rate.
BioPerine is a premium form of black pepper that helps to enhance the absorption of all other nutrients. It also has other bioactivities, including thermogenesis and may, according to early research, help to prevent the formation of fat cells.
The Pros of HourGlass Fit
- Hourglass Fit offers a well-thought-out and researched quality formula that should encourage weight loss via several different avenues.
- Its 2021 formula adds extra appetite suppressant power, while also caring about your mental health.
- It uses premium and top-shelf ingredients
- There are no proprietary blends or hidden ingredients in Hourglass Fit; everything is labelled and clear.
- The manufacturers Propura have been going since 2013, perfecting a few key supplements rather than saturating the market with less-than-quality products. There have been no scandals or scams associated with Propura, and it is a respected company in the supplement field.
- There are no complicated serving quotas or schedules.
- Hourglass Fit offers a money-back guarantee.
- The manufacturers offer worldwide shipping from the UK or U.S.
- Hourglass Fit is cGMP manufactured in USA and UK
- All ingredients are natural
- We love the philosophy behind Hourglass Fit, namely that of sustainable slimming, loving your curves and looking after yourself. It shouldn’t be but it’s a scarce quality in the supplement world.
- There’s no doubt that Hourglass Fit is one of the strongest fat burners for women on the market.
- Unlike earlier formulations, HourGlass Fit is now also suitable for vegans.
- You can only buy Hourglass from the official website.
- If we really had to nitpick, we’d suggest that keeping vitamin D could have been a smart move considering it’s an important vitamin for women. But then something had to go to fit in the rest of the 2021 formula and if we’re honest, we prefer the additions. You can always buy a separate vitamin D supplement.
Safety/ Side Effects
Hourglass Fit uses natural ingredients that shouldn’t cause side effects. The 2021 formula has removed the Guarana and green tea extract — the only sources of caffeine — so there’s no stimulant risk with HourGlass Fit that could cause issues.
How to Take It
Here’s another change to the HourGlass Fit 2021 formula – the serving size has increased from 3 to 4 capsules. HourGlass Fit recommend taking one capsule with water four times a day — morning, lunchtime, afternoon and with your evening meal. It may sound like a lot but it has the benefit of continuing your fat burning and suppressing your appetite throughout the day. Ideal for those of us who tend to snack on an evening!
Who Takes It?
Obviously, HourglassFit is made for women, but certain women will probably gravitate towards this kind of intelligent fat burner. Specifically, women who want to lose weight and take care of their bodies at the same time, but who also want to maintain their curves.
Does It Work?
It certainly does. Don’t let the female-friendly approach fool you, Hourglass Fit is just as strong and effective as any male fat burner on the market.
It unlocks significant weight loss benefits by triggering thermogenesis, controlling appetite, balancing blood sugar, encouraging motivation and focus, boosting energy and metabolism, and more.
The Final Word on HourGlass Fit
In a market of over-hyped and trendy weight loss products for women, it’s a relief to get a genuine fat burner that helps women to lose weight in an intelligent and sustainable way.
Hourglass uses proven researched ingredients and premium forms and offers a brand that really talks to women, with female-friendly and straightforward marketing literature.
We like its emphasis on suppressing appetite, banishing cravings and supporting mood, while also helping the body to burn more calories. It feels like this is a clever fat burner that really does know what women want and need.