This page may contain affiliate links and we may earn a small amount of money from any products bought. Our reviews, however, remain independent and impartial.
‘Load Up Your Guns’
4 Gauge isn’t shy. As well as its shotgun shell-shaped packaging with its ‘Load up Your Guns’ strapline, it pledges to be the ‘safest and strongest pre-workout on the planet.’
Big promises, so does it live up to them? Let’s take a look….
SHORTCUT: For those of you who want to cut to the chase, let us tell you now: 4-Gauge is the real deal. Hyperbole aside, it’s safe and effective, and one of the best pre-workouts available on the UK market today.
The biggest ingredient in 4 Gauge is L-Citrulline Dl-Malate, included here at 6,000mg, one of the most effective vasodilators available. It significantly raises the levels of blood reaching the muscles thanks to an increase in nitric oxide, delivering more oxygen and nutrients.
This allows more intense and extended training and more intense muscle pumps, helping to build size and strength.
Studies also show that supplementing with citrulline malate can reduce fatigue and sore muscles.
The 6,000mg included in 4 Gauge reaches clinically effective dosage, according to Examine.com.
Any good supplementation regime will benefit from the addition of creatine, encouraging production of ATP, the muscles’ energy source. 4 Gauge includes 1,000mg of creatine monohydrate, helping to fuel the muscles for longer (exercise depletes ATP).
There is some question whether caffeine interferes with creatine uptake, and many people will reject a combo of the two as a result. However, while 4 Gauge does contain caffeine, it’s included at low levels, and crucially, the jury is still out on the interference between the two.
While one study seemed to suggest a problem, others suggest that using creatine for sprints, short-term muscle contractions or anaerobic exercise is unaffected by caffeine.
Caffeine (150mg) and L-Theanine (200mg)
Talking of caffeine… here 4 Gauge provides an effective stimulant to deliver energy and focus ahead of your workout. The amount of caffeine in 4 Gauge is equal to approximately one-and-a-half cups of brewed coffee and should be well tolerated by most people. The Mayo Clinic suggests up to 400mg of caffeine a day appears safe for most healthy adults.
It would pay to be aware of any other sources of caffeine you ingest while taking 4 Gauge, of course.
If you’re particularly sensitive to caffeine, you’ll be glad to hear that 4 Gauge has partnered it with the nootropic, L-Theanine. Derived from green tea, L-Theanine helps to raise GABA levels and increase feelings of calm. It ensures you can enjoy the energy boost from the caffeine while remaining calm and focused, and, crucially, side-effect free from the jitters, anxiety or crash traditionally associated with caffeine.
For this reason, the combo is known as ‘Smart Caffeine’ and it demonstrates 4 Gauge’s commitment to quality.
Acetyl L-Carnitine, or ALCAR as it is known, is a natural supplement with a great many beneficial qualities, from boosting athletic performance to enhancing cognitive abilities.
Used for years to improve sports performance, ALCAR has been shown to reduce exercise damage and damaged tissues, as well as reducing fatigue and speeding up recovery. It is also believed to help burn stored fat, making it an ingredient in fat burners as well.
ALCAR also increases testosterone production and boosts bone and muscle mass.
In addition, ALCAR is a recognised nootropic, helping to boost learning capacity and memory, motivation, mental alertness and energy.
Red Beet, (Beta Vulgaris), 300mg
Beta Vulgaris, also known as beetroot, contains high quantities of nitrate and recent studies suggest it can act as a highly effective vasodilator. It boosts the body’s nitric oxide concentrations, enhancing blood flow to the muscles and encouraging more efficient oxygen use. It is a boon for aerobic exercise, allowing the muscles to complete more work with the same amount of oxygen.
Coconut Water Powder, 300mg
Coconut water is rich in nutrients that help to boost hydration, lower blood pressure and restore electrolytes.
Here 4 Gauge includes another popular nootropic, Rhodiola Rosea. As well as a proven motivator, Rhodiola Rosea also reduces fatigue, especially in stressful situations.
As an adaptogen, Rhodiola tackles the body’s chemical and physical reactions to stress, equally useful for burnout or for prolonged low-intensity exercise regimes.
50mg a day is considered effective as a daily preventative for fatigue, helping to improve mind and body. One study also suggests Rhodiola supplementation could improve endurance exercise, though the study used 200mg of the compound, double 4 Gauge’s dosage.
- The manufacturer of 4 Gauge has done its homework. The formula includes some very effective energy boosters.
- We also like the fact that it includes proven nootropics Rhodiola Rosea and ALCAR for motivation, a bonus in a pre-workout.
- A great many pre-workouts including 4 Gauge (and other workout supplements of all descriptions) include caffeine for an energy-boost. It may be a stimulant, but we can’t deny that it’s an effective one. We’re pleased, however, that 4 Gauge complements it with nootropic L-Theanine to prevent jitters and help to keep you calm and focused.
- 4 Gauge is designed to target several different elements relevant to a pre-workout – motivation, stamina, endurance, strength, focus and blood flow. As such, it makes an effective pre-workout supplement with an expected two to four hours longevity.
- 4 Gauge are transparent about the product’s ingredients, no hiding behind proprietary blends.
- Happy reviewers praised 4 Gauge for the ‘clean’ energy push it gives without any subsequent crash.
- Contains all-natural ingredients, no artificial sweeteners or flavours.
- Contains only 5 calories per serving.
- Shipped from the UK and US, meaning a shorter delivery time across Europe.
- 4 Gauge is prepared in FDA and cGMP-certified facilities.
- 4 Gauge only offers one flavour – fruit blast. If you don’t like it, there are no other options. 4 Gauge say fruit blast was chosen because it was the best tasting flavour by far, and ‘beat many of the leading brands on the market’.
- Launched as a premium product, 4 Gauge is slightly more expensive than other pre-workouts on the market.
- Not available through stores or online shops, only available directly from the manufacturer.
Safety/ Side Effects
As all the ingredients are natural, there shouldn’t be any significant side effects experienced when using 4 Gauge. The amount of caffeine included is relatively low (150mg) and is offset by the addition of L-Theanine anyway.
The manufacturers recommend taking one week off from using 4 Gauge every six to eight weeks.
How to Take It
One serving of 4 Gauge is 14g, two scoops. Mix with 300-350ml of water or juice. One bottle should last approximately 20 servings. You can double your dose if you prefer, though you are recommended to try the single dose first.
Does it Work?
Yes. We’re confident that 4 Gauge is one of the best pre-workouts on the market today. Expect more energy, intense muscle pumps, boosted focus and a better mood after taking it. Its low amount of caffeine gives you the option to double dose if you want to go for a more intense exercise regime too, which many other pre-workouts can’t offer.
You may start to notice positive benefits from the first few tries but bear in mind that most pre-workouts are intended to work best when taken consistently for three-months or more.
Choose 4 Gauge for a nice, clean, all-natural pre-workout that will help boost your focus and energy for the gym.