This page may contain affiliate links and we may earn a small amount of money from any products bought. Our reviews, however, remain independent and impartial.
UPDATED CONTENT! Best Testosterone Boosters to Buy in UK in 2019
When you hit the relatively young age of 30, a man’s testosterone levels can fall by as much as 10% for each passing decade. Testosterone is implicated in everything from virility and libido, to muscle growth, athletic performance, strong bones and overall health and vitality. It’s no wonder testosterone boosters have become so popular in recent years.
Here at Supplement Reviews UK, we’ve scoured the market to identify the best of the best, the top three T-boosters to buy in the UK in 2018. One of these is bound to be the perfect choice for you, so read on…
Table of Contents
Here’s a turn up for the books. Coming in at first place on our T-boosting list is a total newcomer from Performance Lab® SPORT. Its special Testosterone-boosting formula has muscled its way into our recommendations thanks to its multi-pathway support for testosterone at all stages of T production AND its modern twist on an ancient approach to boosting testosterone.
The unusual star of Performance Lab® SPORT T-Booster is ancient herb Ashwagandha, included here in premium form KSM-66®. Popular in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years, modern clinical trials have recently investigated its T-boosting and other health building effects and newcomer Performance Lab® has built its T-Booster around it.
Ashwagandha is a potent adaptogen, meaning that it helps to reduce anxiety and stress, and balance stress-related hormones such as cortisol. A double-blind human placebo study of subjects taking 300mg of KSM-66® for 60 days demonstrated a 27% drop in cortisol levels.
Why does this impact testosterone? There’s a strong school of belief, with evidence behind it, that stress and low testosterone levels may be linked, via cortisol. This may be because testosterone isn’t a high requirement when the body is in fight or flight mode, a form of stress that all too often carries over into the everyday. Instead the body produces the stress hormone cortisol.
As well as reducing cortisol, Ashwagandha has also been proven to increase HDL-cholesterol (the good kind), aid sleep and reduce inflammation, all of which are potentially valuable for testosterone production.
Human studies of Ashwagandha on infertile subjects (5g per day of basic root powder for 90 days) have shown significant increases in testosterone of up to 40%, with better sperm quality.
While more research is advisable, a study of young healthy fertile subjects (using KSM-66®) also saw a 15% increase in testosterone levels.
- Supporting ashwagandha is 1000mg of proven T-booster D-AA-CC (D-Aspartic Acid Calcium Chelate). This amino acid helps to regulate the sex hormones, triggering an increase of luteinizing hormone (LH) and Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH). Both of which tell the testes to produce more testosterone and sperm. Studies show D-AA, the more basic form of this amino acid, can increase testosterone by as much as 42% in 12 days. D-AA-CC is superior to this.
- Aiding ashwagandha’s stress-busting qualities is Mucuna Pruriens, another adaptogen herb. Mucuna’s active ingredient levodopa (L-DOPA) starts a bioactive chain reaction in the body that results in increased testosterone production. Particularly effective in men with low sperm counts.
- Antioxidant luteolin prevents the enzyme aromatase from converting testosterone into oestrogen, and may be particularly beneficial for men as they age when the conversion rate of T to oestrogen begins to increase.
Together the ingredients in Performance Lab® SPORT T-Booster help to promote healthy T levels; combat female and stress hormones to sustain circulating testosterone, and support the LH and FSH hormones that encourage testosterone production.
The result of combining the above? Performance Lab® promises more free testosterone circulating for longer, meaning more testosterone that is bioavailable for the body to use.
Use Performance Lab® SPORT T-Booster if…
You’re looking for a safe and natural daily T-booster that you can use over the longer term (with cycling advised) using tried and tested ancient ingredients.
You can buy Performance Lab® SPORT T-Booster at the official website: https://www.performancelab.com/supplements/t-booster/
As per the Performance Lab® website, their SPORT T-Booster is most effective when stacked with their Whole-Food Multi-Vitamins.
Now here’s a shock. Our winning pick of last year’s testosterone boosters – and our victor for 2016 as well – has been beaten to the top spot. Yes, Prime Male has lost its headline grabbing slot to Performance Lab® SPORT T-Booster, and now comes in second on our Best Testosterone Boosters list for 2018.
This is not something we chose lightly, and it doesn’t reflect badly on Prime Male either. Prime Male is just as good as it has always been, with its 12 solid ingredients combining to make a top-notch testosterone-boosting pill. It’s just that, in our opinion, Performance Lab SPORT T-Booster offers something extra special.
Yet we still love Prime Male, especially for its:
- Target audience: Prime Male is targeted at men aged 30, 40, 50 and over, the age groups that need testosterone boosters the most.
- It’s not often a formula can make all 12 ingredients work hard, but Prime Male does. All ingredients are either strong proven T-boosters alone, or combine with each other to significantly improve its testosterone-boosting power.
- Prime Male includes substances that work specially for age-related testosterone loss, demonstrating its commitment to its target audience.
Prime Males’ Promise:
To quote the manufacturers, Prime Male can ‘turn back the clock on male ageing’
That’s a heck of a promise. Here’s another one: Prime Male claims that it can boost your T levels to what they were 10, 20 and even 30 years ago, and can do so in weeks rather than months.
The manufacturers are very confident of their product and we agree with them. Everything we’ve seen and tested so far demonstrates that Prime Male is a winning testosterone-boosting formula.
Taking Prime Male or any effective T-booster should help to boost your libido and mood, improve cardiovascular health, give you more energy, help build lean muscle, and strengthen your bones. Prime Male also boasts that its product can aid optimum prostate health, boost brain function, and improve skin.
It Works Because…
Prime Male is so effective because of its three-pronged approach. It…
- Boosts testosterone production directly by using D-Aspartic Acid Calcium Chelate (D-AA-CC) to encourage production of the body’s Luteinizing Hormone (LH).
The power of D-AA-CC is also backed by LH-booster Mucuna Pruriens.
- Neutralises Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHGB). As much as 60% of a man’s testosterone is ‘bound’ to SHGB, which makes it unavailable for use. Magnesium citrate, nettle root and boron help to reduce levels of SHGB and reduce its strength.
- Reduces the female hormones found in a man’s body. Oestrogen and prolactin are naturally present in the male, but too much can damage testosterone levels. Boron, luteolin, and zinc help to reduce their amounts. One study found that oestrogen levels dropped by 39% after taking 10mg boron for one week.
Other ingredients include:
- Vitamins B6 and D3, both of which help to boost testosterone levels.
- Vitamin K12, particularly useful in tackling age-related T decline.
- Asian Red Ginseng, perhaps not a direct T-booster but useful in the bedroom.
- BioPerine®, a form of black pepper which encourages absorption, making the other ingredients more effective.
Choose Prime Male if….
You’re in the right age group, want a quality product with premium ingredients and plan to use it over the longer term to maintain healthy testosterone levels, as opposed to seeking a short sharp T boost.
The entrance of newbie Performance Lab® Sport T-Booster at first place on our Best Testosterone Boosters of 2018 has shunted our former second place choice, TestoFuel, down into third.
It stays on our list, however, because of the difference it offers to our first and second place choices above. Whereas Performance Lab® Sport T-Booster brings ancient medicine to the modern day, and Prime Male seeks to aid the older generation, TestoFuel unashamedly targets young weightlifters.
As it says on its marketing literature and website, if you’re ‘struggling to pack on the muscle’ or ‘not making the gains you’d hoped for’, the ‘missing link’ could be testosterone.
Testosterone is connected in some way to pretty much every organ in the body, and that’s especially true for the muscles. Increasing your levels of testosterone can help the body to recover quicker after workouts, giving you an energy boost at the same time. Meaning you can work out more often and harder than before, helping to build bigger muscles.
You’ll be stronger, have less body fat, improved muscle mass, more motivation and an enhanced libido, promises TestoFuel.
It Works Because…
The manufacturers of TestoFuel know their market, and have combined effective T-boosting ingredients with performance enhancers. A popular mix for weightlifters in their 20s seeking an extra edge.
We’ll be honest: TestoFuel has primarily made this Best T-Boosters of 2018 list because it uses many of the same proven substances as Prime Male. We’re talking D-AA (D-Aspartic Acid), vitamins D3 and B6, zinc and magnesium. All have been proven to help boost testosterone production, either by increasing it directly, stopping it from being rendered unusable by SHGB, or by reducing the female hormones in the body. TestoFuel’s supply of D-AA is particularly high at a dosage of 2,300mg.
Here’s where TestoFuel differs from Prime Male: It introduces a couple of new ingredients into the mix – fenugreek and oyster extract.
- Fenugreek is a controversial choice, though the buzz surrounding it no doubt makes it attractive. The problem is that results are conflicting. Commonly used to boost exercise performance (and libido), Web MD cites there is ‘insufficient evidence’ for the former. Examine.com cites one human study that showed improvements in testosterone, but points out that subsequent studies have been conflicting. More research is needed.
- Oyster Extract is another slightly controversial choice, pretty much included here purely for its zinc. Zinc is a recognised and proven T-booster. So far so good, but TestoFuel includes zinc anyway, so why add oyster extract? Of course, oysters are known aphrodisiacs, so we’d guess they’re included for their libido-boosting effects more than anything else. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
- Vitamin D, included here as D3, a preferred form for testosterone. A vitamin D deficiency can lead to lower levels of free testosterone.
- Vitamin K2 complements vitamin D3 and may help to ‘maintain steady levels of testosterone.’
Worthy of note: By including Zinc Monomethionine and Aspartate along with Magnesium Aspartate and vitamin B6, TestoFuel basically includes its own version of ZMA, a popular sports nutrient. This would appeal to bodybuilders, athletes and gymnasts for its ability to boost muscle recovery and promote deeper sleep. A bonus to TestoFuel.
One downside of TestoFuel: It chooses proven T-boosters but fails to use premium versions of them. It also fails to do much to tackle high oestrogen levels in the body.
Choose TestoFuel if…
You are ideally in your 20s and want a helping hand to boost testosterone so that you can build muscle. A couple of performance enhancers are also a welcome addition.